Kitchen Confidence Curriculum teaches individuals how to create low-cost healthy meals at home without stress and confusion.
Through a series of 8 lessons, participants will learn the following:
- Basic nutrition knowledge (food group knowledge, creating a balanced plate, navigating food marketing gimmicks, reading food labels)
- Savvy grocery shopping skills
- Tips to reduce food waste
- How to navigate food labels and marketing gimmicks
- How to cook, defrost and store food safely
- Realistic tips for eating well throughout the day.
Each lesson comes with worksheets and detailed information for the facilitator. The facilitator and each participant will be given a print version of Kitchen Confidence: Improve your Health, Save Money, Waste Less which aligns with the lessons.
The facilitator should have a basic understanding of nutrition, but talking points are provided. Information in these lessons is written based on real struggles that I have helped clients and families work through during nutrition counseling sessions.
Lessons involve brainstorming, writing in workbooks, breaking into pairs and playing games.
Objectives of each lesson
- Healthy Eating Struggles
- Participants will be able to identify their healthy eating struggles and what they find challenging and confusing
- Come up with at least two skills that will help to improve their day to day eating habits
- Nutrition 101
- Participants will be able to determine their motivations for wanting to eat healthy
- Understand how diet affects health and list the leading causes of death associated with diet and lifestyle
- Balanced Plate
- Participants will be able to explain what a balanced plate is and why it is important for health
- Name each food group and list at least 5 foods in each group
- Food Waste
- Participants will be able to determine the reasons why they throw out food at home
- List at least two actions they can do to reduce their food waste
- Smart Grocery Shopping
- Participants will create a shopping list based on food groups that will result in healthy home cooked meals
- Identify challenges at the grocery store that makes it difficult to grocery shop and come up with two solutions
- Food Safety
- Participants will be able to explain what the temperature danger zone is and the correct temperatures for reheating and storing food
- List at least three food safety guidelines when cooking
- Food Marketing Gimmicks
- Participants will be able to interpret what nutrition claims mean on food products
- Determine the nutritional quality of a product without the influence of marketers
- Healthy Eating throughout the day
- Participants will be able to identify barriers to implementing healthy meals during the day
- Determine at least two options that can help with overcoming these barriers
Each lesson comes with worksheets and detailed information for the facilitator. The facilitator and each participant will be provided a print version of book Kitchen Confidence: Improve your Health, Save Money, Waste Less and printed spiral bound worksheets for the lessons.
Please contact me at Amanda.email@example.com for more information and pricing.